Saturday, October 27, 2012

Let's Talk About Knitting

Isn't that what this blog is supposed to be about? (No. Not really. I just couldn't come up with a better title, and I do like knitting socks.)

Yesterday I talked to my best friend from high school. She's great. Unfortunately, she lives on the other side of the country, and we haven't seen each other in almost six months... but that's what I get for moving across the country. Anyway, we're both having a pretty rough time with this whole "life after college" thing. It's hard, y'all. And, I could be totally off base here, and just whining like the brat I know I can be, but I really believe all this social media nonsense makes it that much harder. Think about it: I already have a hard enough time wrapping my head around the fact that I can barely pay my own bills. Then, I log on to facebook and see friends of mine who, by all appearances, haven't a care in the world. They're working their dream jobs, going out on weekends, loving the places they're in... It all just sort of exaccerbates that feeling that the problem is me. That I did something wrong somewhere along the way. Anyway, my best friend, let's call her B, totally gets that. So that was comforting.

Less comforting was going to the mechanic yesterday for a routine oil change and being told I have a leaky head gasket, which will cost more than I make in a month to repair. I guess I'll be draining the rest of my savings account to pay for that, after I get a second opinion from a different mechanic, and figure out what my options are as far as how long I can wait while I try to figure out how to save that much money. I know that I'm extremely fortunate to even have the option of draining my savings account to pay for this repair, but seriously? I just bought this car 3 months ago. It's an older car, and I expected to have some repairs down the line, but the car was in excellent condition, had all the service records and seemed to be up to date... I just didn't expect this at all. So that's unfortunate. But I'll deal.

Anyway, back to knitting. I love knitting. I knit while I watch TV, while I read, while I listen to music. I knit for myself, for friends, for family, for the boy. I find very few things more comforting than knowing exactly what stitches I need to make in order to create something, and knowing how to fix it if I mess up. I feel comfortable experimenting with knitting, because I know that when I inevitably do something wrong, or try a new pattern that doesn't work, I can tear it out, ball up my yarn, and start over. Also, a pair of hand-knit socks is a wonderful thing. B's mom is actually the one who re-taught me to knit, and got me interested in actually learning how to make things other than a garter stitch scarf, so I'm eternally grateful to her for that. Unfortunately, though, the fact that B has a knitting mom means that she already has a plethora of knitted goods, and she really doesn't want or need another hat, scarf, vest, etc. Her mom hates knitting socks, so I thought I had finally come up with the kind of hand-knit gift she would really like, until she complained to me that all of her socks are too warm and make her feet sweat.

Ah, well. Back to the drawing board. Which is probably for the best, because I don't have any sock yarn at the moment, and I really shouldn't be going out to buy new yarn...

This weekend I'm working on my list of goals for this year, so stay tuned. I'll be sure to post them here as soon as I come up with them.

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment