Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Doing as Mommy said...

Hi world, I'm Becca.

Here's a blurry picture of me jumping so you know I'm not a robot. Robots can't jump.
In the past, I've tried this whole blogging thing. And by "tried," I mean created a blog, posted one or two things, and lost interest. I'm hoping that this time around, I'll stick to it. Mostly because my mom told me to, but we'll get to that.

I'm a recent college graduate from a small school on the east coast. Approximately a month before graduation, I decided not to pursue my major as a career after all, and abandoned all of the internship applications I had submitted (with very professional emails explaining that I was pursuing other interests) and decided to move across the country with a boy. It's ok, he's a very nice boy. So now I'm living in Silicon Valley, working part time, missing my friends and family and the familiarity of the east coast, and trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. Or at least the next couple of years.

My job situation is sort of wonky, in that the part time position I am currently in doesn't really afford me the flexibility to find another part time job. As such, finances are tight. Really tight. The boy I moved here with is participating in a year-long service program, and although we make ends meet, there isn't a lot of extra cash lying around for frivolous things like "entertainment" or "travel" or "fun." That's mostly ok. We have a netflix account, because, hi, I only work part time and what else would I do with myself all day? We occasionally eat out or buy fancy cheese. In general, though, we're extremely frugal.

Basically, what all this means is that, for me, the past couple of months have been pretty depressing. There are definitely good things. I'm so incredibly grateful to have moved across the country with my boyfriend and not have anything go terribly terribly wrong. At the same time, being here has been sort of lonely. It's hard not knowing anyone. It's hard not having any money to take myself on dates. It's hard having a boyfriend who works 10-12 hour days when I'm sitting at home, bored. And it's hard being in a new place that, to be honest, I'm not totally in love with. And when I expressed all this to my mom, she said I should try writing. So that's what I'm doing.

I'm hoping that, by blogging here, I'll hold myself a little more accountable for making my own happiness. Because if I'm going to be writing about my life, I'll probably have to occasionally leave the apartment.

So here I go...

PS: I don't just knit socks. But I do sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment